Date(s) - 15/02/2021
10:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Speaker: Dr Yanzhong Wang
- Booking: Register online or for those without a King’s login complete this form booking form
- Contact: email BRCtraining@gstt.nhs.uk or call 020 7188 7188 ext 51239 or 53373
This is an introductory course for anyone interested in correlation and linear regression. The course will be useful to researchers who need to use correlation and linear regression analysis for data analysis, and for readers of the medical literature who need a better understanding of its meaning. Attendees will also get insights into the workings principles underlying all regression techniques. The use of specific statistical packages will not be covered.
Attendees should attend the introductory sessions on statistics, or have an equivalent level of knowledge, before attending this course.
By the end of the session, participants should be able to:
- Display the relationship between two quantitative variables in a scatter plot;
- Measure the degree of association using the Pearson’s or Spearman’s correlation coefficient;
- Describe the methods used to obtain regression lines;
- Obtain regression lines describing the relationship(s) between quantitative variables;
- Obtain confidence intervals for regression coefficients;
- Test the null hypothesis of no relationship;
- Explain when it is appropriate to use correlation and linear regression.
About the trainer
Dr Yanzhong Wang is a Reader in Medical Statistics at King’s College London.