Sonia Serrano, COVID-19 vaccine research project managerSonia Serrano

Sonia is a Clinical Trial Manager at Guy’s and St Thomas’, but was redeployed to the COVID-19 vaccine research team voluntarily. We managed to grab her for five minutes to find out how she’s finding it and why she decided to volunteer.

“I volunteered to be redeployed as I wanted to play a part in the COVID-19 response. I said yes immediately when asked to oversee the COVID-19 vaccine research.

“The fast pace of the pandemic situation and having to adjust very quickly has been challenging, but the response from our teams has been incredible.

“The speed at which we are working is unprecedented. Under normal circumstances regulatory approvals and amendments can take a significant time. This is now being done much quicker, often in under a week. On top of that we are following up with over 1,000 of our fantastic trial participants.

“There are so many people involved and it is non-stop, but it’s very rewarding.

“I am extremely proud that I was able to help with this work and very grateful to all colleagues, but especially to the volunteers who took part. Without them we would not be at the stage where the COVID-19 vaccination programme is well underway.”

Share: