Funding 22 Fellowships has helped non-medical health professionals to move into research careers and build multidisciplinary teams on research projects. To highlight the impact of our training for non-medical health professionals we have released a new infographic.

Professor Rebecca Oakey, Cluster Four lead, said: “We are delighted that so many of our Non-Medical Health Professionals who have undertaken training as part of the BRC’s capacity building programmes have continued to incorporate research activities into their current roles. This broad group of professionals bring important skills to the healthcare mission and the value of research training is highlighted in their testimonials.”

Non-Medical Health Professional Academic Training infographic

Our BRC is committed to training and capacity building in clinical academic research. Recognising the importance of the multidisciplinary team needed to conduct research, our Non-Medical Health Professional (NMHP) Fellowship programme offered one year of funding for nurses, midwives, pharmacists and other non-medical health professionals to undertake an MRes in clinical research.

• Between 2012 and 2016 we funded 22 Non-Medical Health Professional Fellowships
  • 14 out of 22 health (64%) professionals remained in research roles or have research elements in their current role following the MRes

“Doing the MRes was a chance for me to keep pushing forward in terms of doing more research in my field. It allowed me to focus in that moment and become aware of some of the initiatives that are available.” Nicholas Byrne Medical Physicist & NIHR PhD Candidate

“I wanted to be immersed in something and be able to give to it fully. That is what the MRes was able to offer me. I had a really broad range of teaching.” Jackie Matthew Sonographer & NIHR PhD Candidate

“Traditionally pharmacists find research the most difficult to get a foot in the door, so by doing the Fellowship, I got a unique opportunity to up my research skills and to show that pharmacists can conduct research at a principal investigator level.” Lynda Cameron Senior Pharmacist in Critical Care, Guy’s and St Thomas’

NMHPs’ Professional Backgrounds:

• Medical Physicist
  • Midwife
  • Nurse
  • Pharmacist
  • Physiotherapist
  • Radiographer
  • Dietician
Share: