Patient and Public Involvement
We offer practical advice and information for researchers interested in patient and public involvement in research. Please contact Claire O’Neill, Patient and Public Involvement Project Manager to book a consultation to discuss ways in which we can assist you in more detail, which include the following:
- Tailored strategies & Advice on how to implement PPI into your study or department
- Signposting to relevant patient and public groups
- Advice on advertising the posts
- Help with setting up your first meeting and co chairing (if required) the first meeting
- Provide useful information and resources.
We also provide training in collaboration with the Research Design Service, London on Implementing Patient & Public Involvement in Research.
The workshops are unique in the area of PPI, being co-designed and co-delivered by patient trainers, giving the opportunity to participants to discuss specific challenges in their own studies with experienced service users. The workshops are targeted towards researchers that are currently in the process of applying to NIHR or similar funding streams.
What will the training cover?
- An overview of what effective PPI is and is not in the context of research
- How patients and the public can be involved at each stage of the research cycle
- Practical planning for effective PPI
- Clarification on what resources and support structures exist in the RDS and BRC
Who can attend?
The courses are free for health care professionals employed by organisations associated with the National Institute of Health Research Biomedical Research Centre at Guy’s & St Thomas’ Hospital and King’s College London:
- King’s College London
- Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust
- South London and the Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust
- King’s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- St George’s University of London
- St George’s Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
All sessions will be held at the Biomedical Research Centre on the 16th Floor of the Tower Wing at Guy’s Hospital, Great Maze Pond, London, SE1 9RT.
Places are limited.
Upcoming dates for training are:
- Tuesday 7th March 9.00am-11.30am. To register for this session please click here
- Wednesday 14th June 1.30pm-4.00pm. To register for this session please email PPI@rdslondon.co.uk
- Tuesday 29th August 9am-11.30am. To register for this session please click here
- Wednesday 25th October 1.30pm-4.00pm. To register for this session please email PPI@rdslondon.co.uk
- Tuesday 12th December 9am-11.30am.To register for this session please click here
If you would like to engage the public with your research please contact Jenny Cook, our Public and Community Engagement Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org). We can offer support in the following:
- Public Engagement Training
- Introduction to Engagement
- Demonstrating YOUR Research
- Digital Engagement
- Evaluating your engagement
- Advice and consultancy for planning engagement activities. If you are considering writing engagement into a grant application
- Join the Engaged Researcher Network to share stories and good practice inspiration.
- To find out about opportunities to get involved with existing events or initiatives
- Accessing the Engagement Innovations Fund