Our BRC is underpinned by a commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion and an environment where men and women can fulfil their potential and be supported in achieving their goals and ambitions in research.
Our vision is driven by a focus on delivering the following strategic objectives:
- Ensure that the BRC strategic priorities are aligned with diversity and inclusion principles;
- Embed a mentoring strategy that is accessible to all staff regardless of background;
- Formalise a process to ensure inclusive leadership throughout the BRC;
- Formalise diversity of representation in all operational structures of the BRC; and
- Monitor success at achieving these targets and implement strategies to address perceived challenges.
We achieve our strategic objectives by:
- Adhering to the standards set out by the Equality Challenge Unit’s Athena SWAN (Scientific Women’s Academic Network) Charter for Women in Science and the Race Equality Charter;
- Giving staff and trainees access to relevant training – including Unconscious Bias training – to develop their awareness of equality, diversity and inclusion;
- Supporting research into the impact of diversity and inclusion projects at the BRC KCL and other research organisations; and
- Ensuring that senior staff undertake relevant diversity and inclusion training and act as role models.
We are an organisation where all employees have the opportunity to realise their full potential in a culture that thrives on equality, transparency, consultation and feedback.
What is Athena SWAN?
The Athena SWAN Charter sets out a framework to recognise commitment to advancing women’s careers in science, technology, engineering, maths and medicine (STEMM) employment in higher education. Our BRC has Athena Swan Silver Awards across many of its King’s College London partner research divisions.
What is the Race Equality Charter?
The Race Equality Charter is a national framework developed by the Equality Challenge Unit which aims to improve the representation, progression and success of BME (Black and Minority Ethnic) staff and students in higher education.