For Breast Cancer Awareness Month, our breast cancer research team and one of their patients hosted a takeover on the Guy’s and St Thomas’ Research Twitter. On Friday 10 October, the team and Yetunde Koledoye shared photos of themselves to give an idea of a typical day in the team. Here’s a summary of what they said during the day.

The Breast Cancer Clinical trials team. L-R, Mai, Ellie, Charlotte, Mary, Srivani and Chris.

Hi we’re the #breastcancer clinical trials team @GSTTnhs. We’re taking over this feed today with our patient Yetunde Koledoye, for #breastcancerawareness. Follow us throughout the day to find out more. From L-R, Mai,  Ellie, Charlotte, Mary, Srivani and Chris.

Breast cancer patient Yetunde, wearing a pink shirt and orange headscarf.

I’m Yetunde, a #breastcancer patient @GSTTnhs, and I am taking part in the Impassion 131 trial. I want to help women with #breastcancer to access better treatments in the future. Participating has also given me more treatment options.

Clinical trial practitioner Mary and researcher Professor Andrew Tutt looking at a computer screen, discussing the Violette trial.

I’m Mary, a clinical trial practitioner. Part of my job is to help trial leads deliver their study.
Prof Tutt here leads the Violette trial, investigating combining DNA-targeting drugs to treat genetic and non-genetic triple negative #breastcancer.

Breast cancer patient Yetunde and oncology research nurse Charlotte sharing a joke during the clinic

I’m Charlotte and I am the oncology research nurse. I’m here with Yetunde to take some blood samples. I love working with patients and it’s nice to be able to put them at ease when they’re here to take part in research.

Junior clinical trial coordinator Ellie at her desk with documents

I’m Ellie and I’m a junior clinical trial coordinator. I like the job because I get to feel like I am making a difference and the job role is very varied.

Clinical trial coordinator Srivani loading samples from clinic into a machine

Srivani is processing the trial blood samples. This has to be done quickly as they are required to be sent to the international labs on the same day.

The whole team gather round a table in the Cancer Centre to discuss the day.

I’m Chris and I lead the #breastcancer trials team. It’s good to meet at the end of the day as a team to discuss how the day went. It’s a busy job so it’s really important for us to check in and make sure everyone is ok.

Share: