Image of Professor Charles Wolfe OBE at a desk with a model of a brain

Director of Research and Development at Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust, Professor Charles Wolfe, has been awarded an OBE in the Queen’s Birthday Honours list, for services to Stroke and Public Health Medicine.

Professor Wolfe said of the honour:

“I was surprised to find out about my OBE. This isn’t just for me – it’s for people I’ve worked with over the years, particularly those I’ve worked with at Guy’s and St Thomas’ in the field of stroke. It’s a team effort.”

Professor Wolfe trained in Public Health and obstetrics and gynaecology at St Thomas’ Hospital, London and King’s College London. His career has spanned both care and research, with roles in academic public health and as Director of Women’s Services at the Trust. Professor Wolfe has been Director of Research and Development at Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust since 2000.

Alongside his work at Guy’s and St Thomas, Professor Wolfe is also King’s Health Partners Lead for Public Health and Head of School for Health & Social Care Research at King’s College London.

Professor Wolfe’s research aims to improve treatment for stoke through epidemiological and health services research. His areas of interest include acute and longer term needs of stroke patients and understanding risk factors for stroke, particularly in multi ethnic communities. Professor Wolfe established a community based South London Stroke Register (SLSR) in 1988 that has contributed to our understanding of stroke in this community.

Speaking about his research, Professor Wolfe said:

“The highlight of my career has been being able to bring research into practice. I worked with Professor Anthony Rudd at Guy’s and St Thomas’ to carry out and publish research on early discharge after stroke. Now more than 80% of hospitals use the guidelines from our research.

“Seeing research that can take many years to carry out help patients and improve care is the most important aspect of my job.”